Core Masculinity, Male Energy, Focus
What is a definition of masculinity? What is a man?
- Male is a biological term. It is a simple, straightforward definition of physical sex.
- Man means an adult male with associated qualities such as courage and virility.
- Maleness suggests biological properties associated with sex and virility.
- Manhood is the state of being a man as distinguished from being a child or a woman.
- Masculinity is the trait of behaving in ways considered typical for a man.
There are differences between masculine and feminine. The three major viewpoints are:
- The differences are genetic. They are part of our physical makeup.
- The differences are socialised. They are created by our cultural upbringing.
- The differences are given by god and are meant for the procreation of children.
There are a number of factors which determine a man’s sex or gender.
- Genetic sex. A male is a male because his genes carry a Y chromosome.
- Gonadal sex. The sex glands are invaded by male sex cells, creating male sex glands.
- Genital sex. Testosterone is secreted by the male sex cells creating the genitals.
- Gender role. Testosterone leaves a male imprint on the brain cells of the foetus.
- Gender identity. A boy develops himself as a man and his sexual nature.
Accepting core masculinity is accepting the essence that you are born with. This means:
- Understanding what it is and living authentically with it.
- Understanding how you have been socialized by family, friends and society.
- Celebrating the differences between men and women and their equality.
- Understanding social norms as models created by the dominant culture or media.
This is the key to being a man. Many men never find their male energy. They become weak as men. Many of the problems that men face are because their male energy is suppressed. They experience sexual problems or intimacy problems.
To focus means to be completely absorbed by the task in hand and not distracted by what else is happening. Women understand the need to be focused and want to be with a man who is focused. That is why presence is so important. When you are with your woman, you need to be with her.
Be In Your Core - Worksheet
Set aside time to think through your answers to the questions. They are intended to get you thinking about masculinity and your attitude to it. Write your answers either in this worksheet or start a journal. Also write your emotional or other reactions.
- What is masculinity for you? Does this relate to you or to men in general? Have you always felt this way?
- To what extent do you match this image of masculinity? To what extent do you believe you are masculine?
- Do you have a sense of your core masculinity, of what you are naturally? How has this core masculinity been influenced by your mother or your father?
- How has your view of masculinity, men and yourself changed over time? How would you see it changing in the future?
Be In Your Core - Exercise
This is an exercise on masculinity, looking at your core masculinity. Watch the supplementary video to help explain the exercise.